Have you heard a person saying how to get rid of cavities naturally? Can you heal your teeth is the same way? The answer is yes. We have heard of using natural remedies for various diseases of the body. In the same way, we can use some home remedies for cavities.
Dental cavities are prevalent nowadays in both adults and children that cause discomfort and pain, limiting the abilities of these people to perform usual tasks. You can try various home remedies that are considered to help reduce the cavities by people’s own experience, and some are based on research.
Every individual is susceptible to dental cavities throughout their lifetime, and there is an increase in the prevalence of this chronic disease (1). It is also known as tooth decay, dental decay, or dental caries.
In this article, I am going to tell you about the home remedies for dental cavities. It can be thought of as dental treatment at home. These are common things that you can try on your own at home. First, you should know about what is the dental cavity and how it is formed.
Table of Contents
- What is Dental Cavities?
- Home Remedies for Cavities:
- 1. Change Lifestyle Habits
- 2. Use Calcium and Magnesium Powders
- 3. Salt Water
- 4. Eggshells
- 5. Bone Broth
- 6. Neem
- 7. Lemon
- 8. Clove Oil or Eucalyptus Oil
- 9. Tea
- 10. Butter Oil and Cod Liver Oil
- 11. Aloe Vera Juice
- 12. Vegetable Oil and Oil of Oregano
- 13. Nutmeg, Turmeric, and Peppermint
- 14. Licorice Root
- 15. Garlic
- Tips For Preventing Cavities:
- Diet Plan For Preventing Cavities:
- When to See a Dentist for Cavities?
What is Dental Cavities?
Enamel is the outer surface of the tooth. A dental cavity is a localized chemical dissolution of the tooth surface that leads to small holes on the surface of the tooth.
Risk factors for cavities include insufficient saliva formation and flow, poor oral hygiene, a large number of cariogenic bacteria in the mouth, inadequate exposure to exposure, inappropriate ways of feeding infants (2, 3).
A dental cavity is a dynamic process that is formed through a complex interaction between bacteria that produces acid and fermentable carbohydrates.
The teeth and saliva also take part in these interactions. The disease can occur in the crowns and roots of teeth. The bacteria create acid from sugar that forms a sticky film called plaque on the teeth.
The plaque formation causes demineralization of the enamel that causes cavities. It can cause aggressive tooth decay that affects the primary teeth of children (2, 4, 5). It is reversible in its initial stages and can be arrested even in advanced stages (3).
The basis of primary prevention is the modification of conventional risk factors for removing cavities (2).
Home Remedies for Cavities:
1. Change Lifestyle Habits
- You should change your diet as it can cause a reversal of tooth decay. A cereal-free diet that is rich in vitamin D and calcium can decrease dental cavities (6).
- Use fluoride-containing toothpaste. The widespread use of fluoride has dramatically reduced the prevalence of dental caries and the rate of the progression of caries (7).
- Eat dairy products to get calcium every day. Also, dairy products have a cariostatic effect and arrest the spread of cavity formation (8, 9). Try to consume whole grain foods because they are rich in vitamin B and iron. They also contain magnesium that increases the absorption of calcium. Both these minerals provide strength to your teeth (10, 11).
- Chew the sugarless gum. Most of the sugarless gums contain xylitol. It does not cause the growth of bacteria in the mouth, unlike other food. Also, there is more saliva production when you chew that can naturally wash off remains of food (12, 13, 14).
- Add vitamins and other supplements to your diet. There is a requirement of vitamins for maintaining the good health of the teeth (15, 16).
- Try to avoid sugary snacks and sweetened drinks because their consumption increases the chance of caries as you are helping the spread of tooth decay by feeding the harmful bacteria. Consume drinks like soda and fruit juice with a straw, so that sticky sugar doesn’t come in contact with your teeth. Try to brush and floss immediately after the consumption of these products. You can also use a good antibacterial mouthwash afterward (17, 18).
2. Use Calcium and Magnesium Powders
As cavities occur due to the demineralization of teeth, this Home remedies for cavities will mineralize the teeth.
3. Salt Water
People use this home remedy most often for any pain in the teeth. It lessens the inflammation and keeps the bacteria away from the mouth of the person, and balances the acidic pH created by the tooth cavity (22). It also removes sticky material from the tooth.
Take water(warm) in a cup or glass and mix the salt in it. You can rinse or gargle with this saltwater. Rinse the cavities properly. Do it twice or thrice a day
They contain calcium carbonate that acts as an abrasive and removes all the decay present in the teeth. Boil the eggshells in water for some minutes after cleaning them. Then take the eggshells and let them air dry.
5. Bone Broth
Bone broth contains vitamins and minerals. It also contains healthy fats. It contains abundant magnesium and calcium that helps to remove the cavities and prevent tooth decay. Make it a part of your diet (25).
Cook the animal bones in boiling water. You can add salt and pepper if you want to make it suitable to taste. Drink it while it is still warm.
Neem is an effective, healthy, and productive method to clean your teeth. It has a potent oil in this plant. People are using it for a long time as a home remedy for many mouth infections, including tooth decay.
It is also useful for preventing sore and bleeding gums.
The teeth and gums become strong by chewing on the neem twig. The neem contains such natural products that inhibit bacteria production and action inside the mouth that prevent tooth decay. It contains high fiber that inhibits plaque formation (26, 27).
Chew the neem twig for some time. Rinse your mouth with water. You can also use neem oil. Apply it on the affected tooth. Do it every day to keep your mouth clean.
Chew a lemon slice for some minutes. Rinse your mouth with water after doing it. Whenever you feel pain in your teeth, you can use this method.
8. Clove Oil or Eucalyptus Oil
- Clove oil is an excellent home remedy to reduce the pain caused by cavities. The clove contains an oil called “eugenol” that has a pain-relieving(analgesic) effect. This oil also has antimicrobial properties that suppress the growth of bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Massage the tooth cavity area by taking a small amount of clove oil on your finger. Use a cotton swab immersed in clove oil if you can’t reach the affected tooth area with a finger. Apply it twice or thrice a day for the best results (30, 31).
- Eucalyptus oil inhibits the growth of bacteria responsible for tooth decay and cavities. Add eucalyptus oil on your regular toothpaste and brush your teeth every day with it until the healing of cavities occurs (32, 33).
Make a cup of green tea. You can use honey and lemon juice if you want. Drink the tea hot. You can also make black tea if you don’t prefer green tea. Drink it every day.
10. Butter Oil and Cod Liver Oil
Poor oral hygiene can cause dental cavities. Maintaining excellent oral health can prevent it. Butter and cod liver can maintain good dental hygiene because they are enriched with vitamins A, D, and K (36, 37).
You can use a capsule that contains both butter and cod liver oil or consume each of them separately. You can regulate optimum dental health if you take these supplements each day. You can take a capsule with any meal during the day.
11. Aloe Vera Juice
The aloe vera has compounds called anthraquinones. They control the bacteria count in the mouth that cause tooth decay. It also has anti-inflammatory effects that reduce swelling and pain. It has wound-healing components as well that promote faster recovery (38, 39, 40).
After brushing your teeth, rinse the aloe vera juice inside your mouth for some time ( one to two minutes). To remove the unpleasant taste of aloe vera juice, rinse with some clean water or some mouthwash.
Do it regularly. You can use aloe vera gel as your toothpaste as well.
12. Vegetable Oil and Oil of Oregano
We call it “oil pulling.” It is useful in reducing the infection by decreasing the number of bacteria in the mouth and also relieve pain. Using oil pulls out the bacteria, and they get trapped in the oil. This method also lessens the swelling of gums.
Oil pulling does not cause reversal already present tooth decay, but it is effective in preventing further cavities. The efficacy of oil pulling becomes double when brushing and flossing are done alongside with it. Rinse your mouth for some minutes with vegetable oil, and then spit it out. Do this twice or thrice a day. You can also use coconut oil for this purpose (41).
People have reported good results by using it. It acts as an antiseptic that prevents dental cavities and tooth decay. Oregano also contains some components that have antimicrobial properties that help reduce the total number of harmful bacteria. Brush your teeth with oil of oregano every day to slow down the growth rate of cavities and avoiding further tooth decay (42).
13. Nutmeg, Turmeric, and Peppermint
- Nutmeg has antibacterial properties that may be effective against tooth cavities. Grind some nutmeg. Then, mix it with a small amount of clove oil. Apply this mixture to your affected teeth and leave it for some minutes. Then rinse your mouth with warm water (43).
- Turmeric can be used for dental care. It reduces the pain and protects your teeth from more decay. You can apply dried turmeric powder to your teeth. Allow the powder to remain for some minutes before rinsing your mouth with warm water (44, 45).
- Peppermint can reduce cavities’ pain. Boil the mixture of peppermint and salt. Allow it to cool. Drink this mixture. It should provide you relief from the pain (46).
14. Licorice Root
Chewing licorice root can slow down the tooth decay. It has antimicrobial properties that inhibit the cavities causing bacteria from growing, thus reducing the total bacteria count in the mouth.
Licorice Root and Licorice candy are two different things. Licorice root is the actual root of the herb itself. You can use this herb along with other products that increase the potency of its action and helps in treating gum disease and tooth decay.
Garlic has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. It has an analgesic effect, thus helps to relieve pain. Chew some garlic cloves in the morning in an empty stomach. Early morning chewing will provide the best results.
You can also use ice therapy to reduce pain. The application of cold compressors restricts the blood supply of that area and reducing the pain. You can place several ice cubes in a bag, then wrap a towel around this bag, and put it against your jaw (51).
These methods may not get rid of cavities in a day, but they are useful in arresting tooth disease and preventing the formation of new cavities. These remedies will make the enamel( outer surface of the tooth) strong by promoting mineralization. But, you should consult a dentist as early as possible after detecting teeth cavities.
Tips For Preventing Cavities:
- Know your cavity risk level.
- Brush with fluoride toothpaste after eating or drinking.
- Quit smoking
- Rinse your mouth with fluoride.
- Brush your teeth regularly, properly, and with the right brush.
- Cut back on sugary and acidic drinks — and drink more water.
- Get into the habit of flossing.
- Consider dental sealants
- Drink some tap water as it has added fluoride.
- Avoid frequent snacking and sipping.
- Eat tooth-healthy foods.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
Diet Plan For Preventing Cavities:
Best Foods For Your Teeth:
- Leafy Greens
- Citrus fruit
- Sugarless gum
Worst Foods For Your Teeth
- Chewy candy
- Hard candy
- Sports drinks
When to See a Dentist for Cavities?
If you are still suffering from dental cavities after trying these home remedies, you should consult a dentist now. Adults can observe the changes in teeth easily, but children can’t.
So, parents should try to look after the progression of teeth problems in children and consult a dentist if needed.
According to NHS, consult a dentist immediately if pain due to cavities is for more than two days that don’t go away with painkillers or you have a fever, pain while biting something, red gums, or a foul taste in your mouth and swelling of cheek or jaw (52)
These home remedies for cavities are a sort of dental treatment at home, but they don’t replace the actual dental consultation. You should make an appointment with your dentist if the pain is out of proportion, or these home remedies fail.