Essential oils have been used for everything ranging from mood enhancers to pain relievers. They aren’t entirely a new concept, but they have been getting a lot of attention in the modern world as a safe, natural alternative to over the counter and prescription medications. Essential oils really shine in the beauty industry where they are using for skin care, nails care, and hair care. Many still don’t understand the science behind essential oils and aren’t willing to give them a try.
Before we tell you the ten essential oils to grow your hair long and strong, we’re going to give you a little history lesson about essential oils.
Essential oils have been around for at least 5,000 years. They first appeared in ancient Egypt, where they were used for mummification purposes. Egyptians have long been recognized as being far ahead of their time with their innovations and medical understanding, and it wasn’t long before they realized that these oils were as helpful for the living as they were in preparing their dead for their journey into the afterlife.
From Egypt, it is believed the Romans next took up the evolution of essential oils, adding them to their hot, steaming bathhouses for aromatic relaxation. The ancient Romans would also bathe in oils without water if they couldn’t get to the bathhouse.
Essential oil knowledge began to branch out, with practitioners from Persia and Israel all the way to Germany and beyond through the 12th century and beyond. Ancient healers left written pages and guides regarding the healing properties of the herbs and oils that are still used today.
The oils of old were made by mixing powdered botanicals into olive oil or animal fats to make topicals that were easier to use both aromatically and topically.
The essential oils that we use today are the perfect balance of ancient wisdom and modern preparation. They are still considered as effective as they were in days gone by.
Which oil is the best for fast hair growth?
Best hair oil for fasted growth
- Peppermint Oil
- Cedarwood Oil
- Tea Tree Oil
- Lemongrass Oil
- Rosemary Oil
- Horsetail Plant Oil
- Thyme Oil
- Ylang Ylang Oil
- Lavender Oil
- Clary Sage Oil
Now, let’s look at the ten essential oils for much faster hair growth and how to use them. Read on:
Essential oils are used in skin care and for the healthy growth of the nails and hair. Some promote shine, some are for growth, and some are for overall conditioning; when you use any of these oils, you are giving your hair the nutritious boost it needs for growing long, strong and healthy.
1. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil promotes growth by increasing circulation to the hair follicles. You will feel a cold, tingly, pleasant sensation as you massage it through your hair.
- How to Use: Two drops mixed with the carrier oil are massaged into the scalp. After five minutes, wash and condition as normal.
2. Cedarwood Oil
Cedarwood has certain antifungal and antibiotic characteristics and can be useful for treating dandruff or some forms of hair loss.
- How to Use: Three to four drops in two tablespoons of your carrier oil applied directly to your scalp. After ten minutes, wash and condition as normal.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is the staple of essential oils with many uses for the skin and hair care. It is a powerful cleansing agent full of antimicrobial and antibiotic characteristics. This oil increases hair growth by unblocking hair follicles. It has been proven to increase effectiveness when used alongside hair loss treatments than hair loss treatment alone.
- How to Use: Three drops of tea tree oil into two tablespoons of your carrier oil massaged into your scalp and rinsed off after fifteen minutes. Alternatively, you can mix about ten drops into your bottles of shampoo and conditioner for daily use.
4. Lemongrass Oil
In 2015, research findings were released that showed that people using lemongrass oil saw a significant reduction in the itchiness and flakes associated with dandruff within the first seven days of use
- How to Use: Mix five to six drops of lemongrass oil directly into your bottle of shampoo to use daily for best results.
5. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary oil has been proven to be as effective as some hair loss treatments, but with absolutely no side effects commonly associated with those treatments. It improves hair growth and thickness by improving cell generation.
- How to Use: Two times per week, massage a mixture of rosemary oil with coconut or olive oil and leave on the scalp for ten minutes. Wash and condition as usual.
6. Horsetail Plant Oil
Horsetail Plant contains silica, a substance known for increasing the thickness, growth rate, and overall health of hair.
- How to Use: Horsetail Plant Oil can be taken orally, in tablet form you can find at a nutrition store. Alternatively, when the essential oil is mixed 2 drops per 2 tablespoons of your preferred carrier oil, it adds the benefit of increasing scalp circulation. Leave the mixture on your scalp for ten minutes, then wash as usual.
7. Thyme Oil
Thyme Oil is like cedarwood oil, only a little easier to find. It stimulates your scalp, with some studies suggesting it is useful in battling some types of hair loss.
- How to Use: Mix to a ratio of two drops per two tablespoons of your preferred carrier oil. Massage the mixture into your scalp, let sit for ten minutes, then rinse it out.
8. Ylang Ylang Oil
Ylang Ylang Oil is effective for treating brittle, dry hair. It stimulates the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum, the scalp’s natural oils.
- How to Use: Ylang-ylang oil is most effective when used as a leave-in treatment for at least thirty minutes. The mixture will be 5 drops of ylang-ylang stirred into two tablespoons of warmed carrier oil. After applying, wrap your hair in a towel for half an hour before washing your hair as usual.
9. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is another essential oil staple with many uses. It has a calming effect when used in a diffuser, and it has scalp improving antibacterial and antimicrobial benefits when used topically on the hair. It encourages faster hair growth.
- How to Use: Lavender oil is most effective when used a few times per week. It should be mixed to a ratio of four or five drops into three tablespoons of your preferred carrier oil and massaged into the scalp. Let the mixture stay on your hair for ten minutes before shampooing as normal.
10. Clary Sage Oil
Clary sage oil is like lavender oil because it encourages faster hair growth, but it also is known to increase the strength of your hair. This discourages breakage, and unsightly split ends.
- How to Use: Clary sage oil can be used daily by mixing three drops of the oil directly into your conditioner or with a tablespoon of your favorite carrier oil. For daily use, rinse it out after about two minutes. Alternatively, you can use it a couple of times per week, leaving it on for ten minutes at a time.
Bonus: Choosing a Carrier Oil
A carrier oil is used for dilution of the essential oils. Essential oils are prone to rapid evaporation before being mixed and are too strong to be used directly. Many carrier oils have beneficial properties on their own and are a great complement to the benefits of the oils they are mixed with. Some favorites for use with the ten essential oils to grow hair long and strong are:
- Olive Oil
Now that you know the ten essential oils to grow hair long and strong, you can pick and choose which ones are best for your hair needs. All these oils are available in nutrition shops and health food stores as well as Amazon. Come on, let’s grow your hair!