We all love cupcakes for many reasons — from their sweet taste and small size to a variety of flavors. Since cupcakes are enjoyed all over the world, we’ll be looking at cupcakes fun facts that everyone can relate to.
We have divided cupcakes’ fun facts into five categories as it has so many interesting facts from different areas. Read on:
1. Fun facts about cupcakes in different nations
Cupcakes have been around since the late 18th century. Different nation treats it differently. In this section, we will highlight cupcakes fun facts considering the USA and UK.
- The people of England prefer to call cupcakes by another name— fairy cakes! They believe it is the right size for a group of fairies to feast on.
- American cupcakes have a slight difference from British cupcakes. British cupcakes are usually smaller in size when compared to those baked in America.
- Americans also use more icing to make cupcakes, Britons prefer it to be just light.
- An average adult living in the United States is believed to consume at least one cupcake per day.
- An old English tradition says that if you put a fruit cupcake under your bed, you will dream of your future spouse.
- Winston Churchill started the act of icing cupcakes. They were covered in lard before then.
- In Australia, cupcakes are called patty cakes.
2. Fun facts about cupcakes’ popularity
Cupcakes have been around since the 18th century, so don’t go thinking it’s a new invention. You’re looking at a 200-year-old dessert! In this section, we will highlight fun facts about cupcakes considering its popularity.
- Cupcake shops became really popular in New York when television shows started featuring them.
- In the year 2005, Sprinkles Cupcakes launched the first ever bakery that was made exclusively for cupcakes.
- More brides are beginning to request for cupcakes at their wedding instead of the traditional classic wedding cake.
- Most of these brides say it is because they can have so many flavors when cupcakes are served, unlike the default classic wedding cake where one flavor takes the day.
- There is a growing competition among cupcake makers in America.
- The unique design of these cakes makes it a type of dessert that is meant for one person or just one serving. Outside desserts, cupcakes are used for weddings, birthdays, get-togethers and a lot of adult as well as children’s gatherings. They just suit our modern snack needs in ways that no other food can compete with.
3. Fun facts about cupcakes’ name and recipes
The major types of cake got their names from the way their ingredients are measured when they are being prepared. Now, prepare yourself for some fun facts about cupcakes’ name and recipes.
- For cupcakes, the ingredients are measured with cups. For pound cake, the ingredients are measured in a regular weighing scale that is read in pounds.
- Cupcakes got their name from one or both of two sources: (1) from the fact that they are actually baked in cups, (2) from the fact that cups were used to measure their ingredients during baking.
- Cupcakes were once called number cakes. In the early years, when they were just beginning to make a statement in the baking world, people called them 1-2-3-4 cakes. Why? Because it was a helpful way to remember the recipe.
1- for one cups of butter
2- for two cups of sugar
3- for cups of flour, and
4- which stands for four eggs.
- Classic cakes use the same recipes as cupcakes. The only differences would be the extra flavors that are added, but basically, it’s the same thing, one just comes out in cups.
4. Fun facts about cupcakes and records
- There is a record for eating the most cupcakes, and it’s 29 cupcakes in 30 seconds. That’s about one second for each cupcake. Wow!
- The largest cupcake was made in the year 2009. It had two million calories, was 4 feet tall, weighed 1224 pounds, and had a ten-foot breath.
5. Other fun facts about cupcakes
- 15th of December is national cupcake day!
- 18th of October is national chocolate cupcake day
- 9th of November is vanilla cupcake favor day
- Cupcakes always spend less time in the oven when compared to their layered counterparts. They are like that because of the original small size.
- The best way to eat a cupcake is not the default way of just throwing them in the mouth. It goes like this:
Start by gently removing the top portion of the cupcake from the wrap, and you will still have the bottom portion in your second hand. Then, slowly place the part of the cupcake (with the icing, now outside the wrap) on the part inside the wrap. This forms a sandwich, and that’s how to eat a cupcake properly, like a sandwich. However, cupcakes are too delicious; people rarely have time for this.
- Cupcakes are actually very healthy when eaten with moderation. They give energy, thanks to the sugar content.
Vanilla, one of the most common flavors use to make cupcakes, is known to be a very good ingredient that helps to reduce stress. For women, it can also help to ease the discomfort of painful periods. All these benefits happen when you eat a cupcake.
- Still, on the path of health, cupcakes contain a good amount of eggs, and eggs have choline which helps to maintain brain health. Studies show that a huge part of the population lack choline in their system, this means we should eat more cupcakes. Besides helping the brain stay healthy, choline also has anti-inflammatory properties.
If you are as lazy as I am, then you hate doing the dishes and just want to enjoy good food. Cupcakes fit in so perfectly into that definition. Once you finish making or buying the cupcakes, you just need to eat and dispose of the wraps. Simple and clean. Thank you for reading! Now enjoy some tasty cupcakes with your friends and share this interesting cupcakes fun facts with friends.